Denyse Schmidt is a reknowned quilt designer and a great friend of Purl Soho! She is especially loved for her colorful and improvisational approach. Based on traditional designs, her quilts always have a distinctly modern look and spirit of creativity and fun. Learn how she does it at this special hands-on day of sewing and learning. Denyse will share her techniques and methods while you improvise your own version of her Different Stripe Quilt. Learn to trust your intuition, build your creative confidence, and streamline your patchwork process!
- Skills Covered: Hands-on instruction in creating your very own Denyse Schmidt Quilt, preparing materials, improvisational process for composition and stitching, options for overall composition and layout, discussion of continuing the project at home to make a large quilt, or finishing workshop blocks for a small wall hanging or pillow project
- Experience Required: Basic sewing machine skills
- Special Guest Instructor: Denyse Schmidt
- Location: Please note that this full day workshop will be held at Purl Soho's Studio Space, a short distance from our shop. Please meet us at 403 Broome Street, New York City!
- Materials and Refreshments : All necessary materials will be supplied, and a sewing machine, generously donated by Bernina dealer Pins and Needles, will be provided to each student (and available for sale!). A catered lunch will be provided for this full day workshop and during the lunch break, participants will have the opportunity to visit Purl Soho to purchase any materials to finish their quilts at home!
- Bernina dealer, Pins and Needles of Mount Kisco, has generously donated a sewing machine for each student to use during class, and if you fall in love with it, it's also available to purchase!
- Contact: If you have questions, please check out our Class FAQs; or call us at (212) 420-8796,12-6 weekends, 12-7 weekdays; or email us at [email protected].
NOTE: We are very sorry to report that the elevator in the building where our Studio Space is located will be under repairs until the fall. Purl Soho very purposely chose to rent a space that would be accessible to all of our customers, and so we are especially disappointed by this setback. For now, if you are unable to climb two flights of stairs, we would be happy to let you know when this class gets rescheduled post-elevator repair. Otherwise, please do check out our entire schedule of classes, because only machine sewing classes take place in our Studio Space. The rest of our classes are held in our perfectly accessible shop at 459 Broome Street!