Our Two-Tone Banded Cardigan is structured but easygoing, tailored but fluid. With a lone button, it moves with you; with an open V-neck it breathes; and with a peep of color, there’s a little secret, too!
You knit this cardigan in one piece from bottom to top, then work the back and fronts separately. Join the shoulders together, then pick up for each sleeve and knit in the round down to the cuff. To finish, pick up and knit a different-color placket, fold it back and attach for a hearty edge.
We knit our Two-Tone Banded Cardigan in two very special yarns from opposite ends of the spectrum. The main yarn is Good Wool, our undyed 100% Andean highland wool, available only in the five shades of the sheep that grew them.
And the placket is Posy, our merino-cashmere-nylon blend, available in 18 glorious hand-dyed shades. Dare a pop of Azalea Glow or Sour Gooseberry (like we did), or go for just a whisper with Lilac Mist or Pink Peppermint.
However you play the two yarns off each other, this happy little cardigan sings notes of mellow and bright in perfect harmony!
Designed for Purl Soho by Adam Aronowitz.
- Yarn A: 3 (3, 4, 4, 5, 6) skeins of Purl Soho’s Good Wool, 100% Andean highland wool. We used the color Winter Grass.
- Yarn B: 1 (1, 1, 1, 1, 1) skein of Purl Soho’s Posy, 75% superwash merino wool, 15% cashmere, and 10% nylon. We used the color Sour Gooseberry.
- US 3, 40-inch circular needles
- A set of US 3 double pointed needles
- US 6, 40-inch circular needles
- US 6, 16-inch circular needles
- A set of US 6 double pointed needles
- A size F crochet hook
- Several yards of scrap yarn
- Stitch holders (or more scrap yarn)
- Approximately 12 stitch markers, including one unique
- Approximately 12 removable stitch markers
- A 1-inch button. We used Purl Soho’s Large Shell Button in Brown.
- A Two-Tone Banded Cardigan Pattern
24 stitches and 29 rows = 4 inches in stockinette stitch, using larger needles and Yarn A
25 stitches and 34 rows = 4 inches in stockinette stitch, using smaller needles and Yarn B
38 (42, 46, 50, 54, 58)
To fit actual chest circumference of 30–33 (34–37, 38–41, 42–45, 46–49, 50–53) inches, with 5–8 inches of ease
- Finished Chest Circumference: 38 (42, 46, 50, 54, 58) inches
- Finished Length From Shoulder To Bottom Edge: 19¼ (19¾, 21¼, 21¾, 23¼, 23¾) inches
- Finished Sleeve Length From Side Seam To Cuff: 18 (18, 18¼, 18¼, 18½, 18½) inches
SAMPLE: The sweater pictured here is size 38 inches modeled with 6 inches of ease.
The Two-Tone Banded Cardigan is available for purchase as a PDF download only.