I knit up our original Basic Hats for Everyone with what-was-then our new Worsted Twist. Three years later, we’re turning to what-is-now our classic Worsted Twist to give these Hats a color update!
Our new palette of Worsted Twist is soft and natural, with colors like a basket full of foraged mushrooms or a handful of dried wildflowers. We love a Honey Pink pom pom atop a Rose Granite hat and an Oatmeal Gray brim a-bottom a Lavender Moon hat. Playing with these colors is half the fun!
The Basic Hats for Everyone Pattern remains essentially the same but with a fresh look. It still includes instructions for hats with a Rolled Brim, Ribbed Brim, Garter Brim, and Garter Brim with Ear Flaps and for sizes from Baby to Adult Large. Basic, yes; for Everyone, yes!
This family of hats is just right for families of people. A whole stack of Basic Hats in various sizes, styles, and colors is a beautiful way for everyone from baby to grandpa to welcome winter and its first snowfall.
I’m really pleased that the Basic Hats for Everyone Pattern still speaks to me. It’s practical, simple, and very useful. And the Hats themselves are the same, plus cozy, soft, and lovely. I imagine I’ll be knitting a new batch of them in three years! -Joelle
P.S. Curious about the original Basic Hats for Everyone? Read that story here!
- Purl Soho’s Worsted Twist, 100% merino wool. (We used the colors Wheat Flour, Sea Salt, Honey Pink, Ballet Pink, Rose Granite, Copper Penny, Lavender Moon, Ash Gray, Salt + Pepper, Artemisia Green, and Oatmeal Gray.) For a one-color hat without a pom pom (pom poms take an additional 40 yards or so), you’ll need…
- Rolled Brim Hat: 1 (1, 1, 1) skein
- Ribbed Brim Hat: 1 (1, 1, 1) skein
- Garter Brim Hat: 1 (1, 1, 2) skein(s)
- Garter Brim Hat with Ear Flaps: 1 (1, 2, 2) skein(s)
- US 7, 16-inch circular needles
- US 7 double pointed needles
- Our Basic Hats for Everyone Pattern
- Optional: Pom Pom Maker
20 stitches and 28 rounds = 4 inches in stockinette stitch
Baby (Child, Woman, Man)
- Finished Circumference: 14 (16, 18, 20) inches
- Finished Height (from cast-on edge to top of crown): 7 (8, 9, 10) inches
The Basic Hats for Everyone Pattern is available for purchase as either a hard copy or download.