In my family, we refer to age 5 as my “year of the sweat suit.” A friend of mine had a similar phase with long johns. And my neighbor rues the day she ever introduced her daughter to leggings, which was also the last day her daughter ever wore actual pants.
For the under-10 set coziness is key, but it’s rare that a kid’s idea of comfort overlaps with a parent’s sense of style. And so, I designed the Kid’s Robe to cover both bases. For the child, a cozy fleece or Sherpa lining, and for the adult, clean lines and a classic cut, everyone’s happy… and toasty… and cute!
The Kid’s Robe Pattern includes sizes from 1- 9 years in two styles: Version A, with a snap closure, and Version B, with a belt. For the lining we recommend a super soft knit fabric, such as Michael Miller’s Organic Sherpa or Cotton Fleece and for the outer fabric, a beautiful woven cotton. I made my robes with Sherpa and Liberty of London’s Tana Lawn, a combo that’s a treat both inside and out!
My own daughter has three criteria when getting dressed in the morning: comfort, comfort and anything with a dinosaur on it. Although I haven’t yet delivered a Jurassic print, this robe has become a serious hit. “I need my robe,” is the first thing I hear from her room in the morning, and I have it waiting for her as soon as she steps out of the tub at night. If 20 years from now this becomes known as her year of the Robe, you won’t hear me complain! – Corinne
To make a Robe for size 1 (2-3, 4-5, 6-7, 8-9), for a 22 (23, 24, 25, 26)-inch chest measurement, you will need…
- 1 ¼ (1 ½, 1 ½, 1 ¾, 2) yards of a 44-inch woven cotton OR 1 ¼ (1 ¼, 1 ¼, 1 ½ 2) yards of a 54-inch woven cotton. I used Liberty of London’s Tana Lawn in Phoebe Lime, Kayoko Pink and Blue Samols.
- 1 ¼ (1 ½, 1 ¾, 2, 2 ½) yards of a 44-inch knit. I used Michael Miller’s Organic Sherpa.
- 100% cotton thread in a coordinating color
- A walking foot for your sewing machine.
- For Version A, with snaps, you will also need two size 4 snaps.
- Purl Soho’s Kid’s Robe Pattern.
1 (2-3, 4-5, 6-7, 8-9), for a 22 (23, 24, 25, 26)-inch chest measurement
The Kid’s Robe Pattern is available for purchase as either a hard copy or download.