With an itch to make a scarf, I found myself happily lost in the pages of Barbara Walker’s seminal “Treasuries” of stitch patterns. Intrigued by the rhythms and possibilities of her slip stitch patterns, I think I tried them all. And then I finally combined a couple, a bit of Woven Stitch and a dash of Linen Stitch and voila, a reversible stripe!
This magical world of slip stitches has me firmly in its clutches. How else could there be a simple knit fabric with so much complexity and fascination?!? One side of this stitch pattern is smooth and flat, seemingly woven, with impeccably thin horizontal pinstripes; while the other side is textured in deep, hearty ridges, running in vertical stripes like a knotted tweed.
When wrapped, folded, and tucked around your neck, this scarf is delightfully dizzying! It achieves all I hoped for and more. No curled edges and two sides that aren’t just both presentable, but whose contrast in pattern and texture actually enliven and complement one another.
In the spirit of the love and generosity of Valentine’s Day, I knit up my scarf in Jade Sapphire’s unparalleled Zageo 6 Ply Cashmere. An elegant yarn for a timeless scarf, it is amazingly soft and toasty warm. If only I had the heart to actually give it away! -Laura
Update: October 2013
Pictured below is a new version of the Reversible Stripes Scarf using a combination of Jade Sapphire’s Zageo 6 Ply Cashmere and Alchemy’s Kozmos, a wonderfully complex yarn that adds texture and shine.
I followed the original pattern (below) with one modification: a cast on of 55 stitches, resulting in a more generous finished dimension of 9 inches wide x 92 inches long. -Laura
For the original (left)…
- Yarn A: 2 skeins of Jade Sapphire’s Zageo 6 Ply Cashmere, 100% Mongolian Cashmere, in the color Pewter.
- Yarn B: 2 skeins of Jade Sapphire’s Zageo 6 Ply Cashmere, 100% Mongolian Cashmere, in the color Ivory.
Or for the new version (right)…
- Yarn A: 4 skeins of Alchemy’s Kozmos, 30% silk, 26% mohair, 15% wool, 31% cotton, in the color Silver.
- Yarn B: 3 skeins of Jade Sapphire’s Zageo 6 Ply Cashmere,100% Mongolian Cashmere, in the color Ivory.
Pictured below are swatches of nine additional available colorways, each using 2 colors of Jade Sapphire’s Zageo 6 Ply Cashmere…
- Top Row, from left: Silver Fox (Color A) + Pewter (Color B), Silver Pearl + Cousin Coral, Pink Panther + Silver Pearl
- Middle Row, from left: Ivory + Pink Panther, Ivory + Silver Pearl, Pewter + Silver Pearl
- Bottom Row, from left: Ivory + Cousin Coral, Silver Pearl + Silver Fox, Cousin Coral + Pink Panther
For this project, you will also need:
- US 7, 12, 16 or 24-inch circular needle
24 stitches = 4 inches in stitch pattern
- Original Scarf (all 6 Ply cashmere): 8 inches wide by 72 inches long
- New Scarf (6 Ply Cashmere + Kozmos): 9 inches wide x 92 inches long
- Swatches: 3 1/2 inches square
If you would like to adjust this pattern for a different width, simply cast on any odd number of stitches.
Slip stitches purl-wise.
Each row in this pattern starts with the instructions to either “Turn” or “Slide” the work:
- “Turning the work” means to do what you would normally do when knitting rows with a circular needle. That is to say, put the needle in your left hand into your right and the needle in your right hand into your left, and flip the work around so the opposite side is facing you.
- “Sliding the work” means to keep the same side of the work facing you and to push all the stitches to the right end of the circular needle. Without turning the work, start the new row as you normally would.
You will know that you’re doing this right if the yarn you need to complete the next row is magically there waiting for you!
With Yarn A, cast on 49 stitches (or 55 stitches for the 6 Ply/ Kozmos version).
Row 1 (wrong side): Turn, and slip 1 with yarn in front (wyif). With Yarn B, *p1, slip 1 with yarn in back (wyib), repeat from * to end.
Row 2 (wrong side): Slide, and with Yarn A, *p1, slip 1 wyib, repeat from * to last stitch, p1.
Row 3 (right side): Turn, and slip 1 wyib. With Yarn B, *k1, slip 1 wyif, repeat from * to end.
Row 4 (right side): Slide, and with Yarn A, *k1, slip 1 wyif, repeat from * to last stitch, k1.
Repeat Rows 1-4 until piece measure 71 1/4 inches (or 91 1/4 inches for the 6 Ply / Kozmos version).
Repeat Rows 1-3
In Yarn A, bind off in knit.
With Yarn A, cast on 23 stitches.
Repeat Rows 1-4 until piece measures 2 3/4 inches.
Repeat Rows 1-3
In Yarn A, bind off in knit.